Low-carb, high-fat, moderate-protein. Lacto-ovo vegetarian. Adapted from https://lowcarbyum.com/instant-cauliflower-mac-cheese/. You can make this with any low-carb vegetable. Original recipe used cauliflower. I love this made with fresh zucchini. You could also use yellow summer squash, broccoli florets, cut asparagus, cut green beans, Brussels sprouts cut in half, etc. It’s the perfect alternative to the instant boxed mac ‘n’ cheese carbage!
- 1 c. chopped or sliced low-carb vegetable of choice, cooked to desired tenderness
- 1 pat of butter (between ⅓ and ½ tablespoons of butter, or about 1 to 1.5 teaspoons)
- 1 T. heavy whipping cream
- ¼-½ c. shredded cheese, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash and trim fresh vegetable of choice, chop or slice into bite-size pieces. Or use frozen vegetable, if desired.
- Put vegetable into microwaveable dish with a lid. If using fresh vegetable, add 1 T. water.
- Cook in microwave* until desired tenderness is achieved (typically, 1-2 min.). Drain excess liquid.
- Add butter, cream, cheese, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Return to microwave* for 30-60 seconds (to melt the butter and cheese).
- Stir and serve.
*For those who do not want to use a microwave, this can be done in an oven at 350° F. for 5-10 minutes to cook the vegetable and 2-3 minutes more to melt the cheese.
Nutrition Information (per serving):
- Calories 237
- Carbohydrate 6 g
- Fat 19 g
- Fiber 3 g
- Protein 10 g
- Special K® Loaf
- Taco Salad/Haystacks for Diabetics
- Basic Seitan (Gluten Steaks)
- Mom J’s Cashew Gravy
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Cashew-Pimiento Cheese Sauce
- Mom J’s Low-carb Baked Beans
- Picnic Cauliflower Salad
- Mom J’s Black Soy Bean Chili
- Keto “Cornbread”
- Chicken-style Seasoning
- Gluten-free Low-carb Unleavened Communion Bread
- Mom J’s Cheese Chips
- Three-bean Salad
- Tofu Sour Cream & Onion Dip
- Veggie “Mac” ‘n’ Cheese
- Filipino Seitan Adobo
- Thomas Moen‘s Soybeans
- Jeanette Pelton’s Zucchini Loaf
- Jeanette Pelton’s Savory Loaf
- Mom J’s Baby Bok Choy Soup