This is the only challenge for the month of February. First, February is a short month. Second, you need time to focus, undistracted, on detailed food journaling. You won’t have to do this every day for the rest of your life, but you will need to do this long enough to get a fairly accurate picture of what you are eating and how specific foods are affecting your (a) blood sugar, (b) weight, and (c) other physical/health factors (such as food allergies or intolerances which you may discover through this process). You also need to learn how to “eat to your meter.”
Goal: To replace the “everything in moderation” mindset with an exact understanding of what portion control means.
Portion Control Without Being Hungry
Read (or re-read) Law of Health #5, “Temperance”
Re-read blog post, “Start with Portion Control”
- Start/maintain a detailed food journal
- Eat to your meter (click link for detailed description)
- Eliminate what you determine is not good for your diabetes
- Explore new recipes/brands of acceptable foods
- Create a written menu plan customized just for you
My Fitness Pal is available for computer or phone.
Reference: Food Databases, Journals, & Glucose Trackers