My friend Claudia inspired me to create a taco salad that would be suitable for diabetics. First, it depends on what guidelines you follow for your carbohydrate consumption. The standard American Diabetic Association (ADA) recommendation is for 15-20 grams net carbs (total carbs minus fiber) per serving. A reduced carb goal would be 10-15 grams total carbs per serving, low carb would be 5-10 grams total carbs per serving, and very low carb would be <5 grams total carbs per serving.
Typically, a taco salad contains meat and no beans, while haystacks use beans and sometimes vegetarian burger.
- First, lose the tortilla chips, which weigh in at 18 grams carbs per 1 oz.! If you absolutely have to have chips, try the Low-Carb Doritos™ recipe (below), which are also gluten-free, if that matters to you.
- Build your taco salad or haystack from the ingredients listed below, based on your taste preferences but, more importantly, on carbohydrate content.
Nutrition Information (per amount of carbs shown):
- Low-Carb Doritos™ – 0.62 g per chip (recipe below)
- Lettuce, shredded – 1.6 g per 1 c.
- Tomatoes, chopped – 3.5 g per ½ c.
- Black olives – 1 g per 0.5-oz. serving
- Onion, chopped – 1 g per 1 T.
- Ground beef, pan-browned – 0 g per 4-oz. (compare to 5 g in MorningStar Farms® Grillers® Crumbles™ or Gardein™ Beefless Ground per ½ c. or 6 g in Trader Joe’s Beef-less Beef per ½ c.)
- Eden® Organic Black Soy Beans – ½ c. has 8 g total carbs, 7 g fiber (1 g net carbs)
- Cheddar cheese, shredded – 0.7 g per ½ c. (I have not found any suitable non-dairy cheese, but you could use grated carrots with 2.6 g per ¼ c.)
- Guacamole – carb content varies with size of avocado and carb content of salsa. May want to make your own (recipe below)
- Full-fat sour cream – 1 g per 2 T. (compare to 2-9 g per 2 T. of Tofutti® sour cream products)
Lovett, Carol. “Low Carb Chili Doritos,” Ditch the Wheat (July 9, n.y.). https://ditchthewheat.com/low-carb-chili-doritos/ (accessed on 8/19/2020).
SDuhA. “Slide Show: How to make a Haystack,” Barely Adventist (August 13, 2014). http://barelyadventist.com/slide-show-how-to-make-a-haystack/ (accessed on 8/19/2020).
Verywell Editor. “Super-Easy 5-Minute Guacamole Recipe,” Very Well Fit (updated April 3, 2020). https://www.verywellfit.com/super-easy-guacamole-2242379 (accessed on 8/19/2020).
- Special K® Loaf
- Taco Salad/Haystacks for Diabetics
- Basic Seitan (Gluten Steaks)
- Mom J’s Cashew Gravy
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Cashew-Pimiento Cheese Sauce
- Mom J’s Low-carb Baked Beans
- Picnic Cauliflower Salad
- Mom J’s Black Soy Bean Chili
- Keto “Cornbread”
- Chicken-style Seasoning
- Gluten-free Low-carb Unleavened Communion Bread
- Mom J’s Cheese Chips
- Three-bean Salad
- Tofu Sour Cream & Onion Dip
- Veggie “Mac” ‘n’ Cheese
- Filipino Seitan Adobo
- Thomas Moen‘s Soybeans
- Jeanette Pelton’s Zucchini Loaf
- Jeanette Pelton’s Savory Loaf
- Mom J’s Baby Bok Choy Soup