Breakfast can be a challenge when we start to eat low carb, especially when you have eliminated “traditional” breakfast foods (cereal, oatmeal, toast, muffins, bagels, sweet rolls, etc. which are all high-carb choices.) The answer depends, first of all, on your dietary lifestyle and, next, on your diabetes dietary protocol.
Yes, for lacto-ovo vegetarians, there are eggs. But, you may not want to eat eggs every day, even if you love them. (Although, eggs can be made a zillion ways! Fried, boiled, deviled, omelettes, crustless quiche—a great way to use up leftovers, breakfast egg muffins, “Shirred”…).
Here are some low-carb ideas:
- Avocado toast on keto bread
- Chia pudding – tons of recipes out there!
- Dinner leftovers
- Grain-free granola with hemp hearts, raw nuts and seeds, coconut, and unsweetened almond milk or coconut cream
- Grain-free hot cereal (Google for recipes)
- Protein shakes with avocado, hemp hearts, raw nuts and seeds, coconut or almond milk
- Scrambled tofu
- Soybeans with veggies of choice
Lacto-ovo Vegetarian (add to above):
- Almond or coconut flour muffins (Google “low carb” or “keto” recipes)
- Breakfast “sandwiches” made with low-carb bread (Google for recipes), cheese, avocado
- Cauliflower hash browns
- Chaffles (made with 1 egg and 1/2 cup shredded cheese) – Google for more recipes
- Cream cheese pancakes with peanut butter or berries (Google for recipes)
- Eggs: omelets, fried, quiche, boiled, egg salad, shirred (Google this—it’s awesome!), baked egg “muffins” are easy and fast
- Full-fat unsweetened Greek yogurt with stevia and ¼ cup of berries
- Full-fat cottage cheese (1/2 cup) and berries (1/4 cup)
- Loaded cauliflower breakfast bake
- Mug muffin
- Roasted veggies with melty cheese
- Zucchini fritters with tzatziki sauce
Adventist Non-vegetarian* (add to above):
- Avocado filled with chicken salad or taco meat
- Brussels sprouts hash with turkey bacon, eggs
- Cauliflower skillet with turkey bacon and cheese or ground beef, spinach, etc.
- Lettuce wraps with tuna or chicken
- Roast beef or turkey roll ups with cheese, green onion, etc.
*Adventist non-vegetarian eats only “clean” meat/fish.