Low-carb, gluten-free. Vegan, but not Weimar-friendly (because it contains coconut oil). Mom J’s own recipe.
- 1 T. coconut oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 c. raw cashews
- 2 T. coconut flour
- 2-4 c. water or vegetable broth
- 2 T. nutritional yeast
- 2 T. tamari or Bragg Liquid Aminos
- ½ t. sea salt (or to taste)
- ½ t. black pepper (optional)
- Sauté onion in coconut oil until soft.
- Add garlic and cook another minute to slightly brown the garlic.
- Add cashews and let them cook in the coconut oil to “toast” them.
- Add the coconut flour and stir it around over the heat for a minute.
- Add 1-2 c. water or vegetable broth a half cup at a time and stir to blend in the flour and thicken. Do not let it get lumpy. Add more water as it becomes thick.
- Add nutritional yeast, tamari, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Turn heat down and let simmer for 20-30 minutes until cashews are soft. Add more water or vegetable broth as needed so the water completely covers the cashews.
- Turn off heat and let cool away from heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Puree in a heavy-duty blender on high speed. You may need to add more water or vegetable broth while blending to get the right consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve over vegan entrée of choice. Leftover (if any) may be refrigerated for a few days.
Nutrition Information (per ¼-cup serving):
- Calories 50
- Carbohydrate 3 g
- Fat 3 g
- Fiber 1 g
- Protein 2 g
*You can make mushroom gravy by adding 1 c. of sautéed sliced mushrooms (not included in Nutrition Information above).
- Special K® Loaf
- Taco Salad/Haystacks for Diabetics
- Basic Seitan (Gluten Steaks)
- Mom J’s Cashew Gravy
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Cashew-Pimiento Cheese Sauce
- Mom J’s Low-carb Baked Beans
- Picnic Cauliflower Salad
- Mom J’s Black Soy Bean Chili
- Keto “Cornbread”
- Chicken-style Seasoning
- Gluten-free Low-carb Unleavened Communion Bread
- Mom J’s Cheese Chips
- Three-bean Salad
- Tofu Sour Cream & Onion Dip
- Veggie “Mac” ‘n’ Cheese
- Filipino Seitan Adobo
- Thomas Moen‘s Soybeans
- Jeanette Pelton’s Zucchini Loaf
- Jeanette Pelton’s Savory Loaf
- Mom J’s Baby Bok Choy Soup