Baked beans, by tradition, are very sweet! Baked beans also frequently have bacon or ham in them. So it’s a challenge to create a vegetarian low-carb baked beans recipe, but I am adapting a recipe from https://www.blacksheepketo.com/post/keto-baked-beans and making it low-carb and “Adventist non-vegetarian” or vegetarian.
- 5 oz turkey bacon*, chopped into small pieces
- 2 T. butter
- ½ medium yellow onion
- 1 t. salt
- ¼ t. black pepper
- ¼ t. dried mustard powder
- ¼ c. sugar-free ketchup (Heinz, or make your own)
- 2 t. coconut aminos
- ½ c. Swerve granular
- 1 15-oz. can Eden® Organic Black Soybeans (drained)
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat, add turkey bacon, and cook until crispy.
- Once bacon is crispy, remove bacon pieces from the pan and set aside. Leave the butter in the pan.
- Use the butter to cook the chopped onion until it is translucent.
- Once the onion is cooked, add salt, pepper, mustard powder, sugar-free ketchup, coconut aminos, and Swerve into the pan.
- Mix ingredients together and bring to a brief simmer.
- Add drained and rinsed can of black soy beans to an 8×8 casserole dish along with the bacon pieces.
- Add sauce to the casserole dish and spread evenly.
- Cover beans with foil and bake for 60-90 minutes, checking intermittently. If the beans appear to be getting dry, add a little water.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Nutrition Information (per serving):
- Calories 240
- Carbohydrate 10 g
- Fat 17 g
- Fiber 6 g
- Protein 14 g
*For vegetarian version, use your favorite vegetarian bacon substitute and adjust Nutrition Information, particularly carb content. Or just omit the bacon.
- Special K® Loaf
- Taco Salad/Haystacks for Diabetics
- Basic Seitan (Gluten Steaks)
- Mom J’s Cashew Gravy
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Cashew-Pimiento Cheese Sauce
- Mom J’s Low-carb Baked Beans
- Picnic Cauliflower Salad
- Mom J’s Black Soy Bean Chili
- Keto “Cornbread”
- Chicken-style Seasoning
- Gluten-free Low-carb Unleavened Communion Bread
- Mom J’s Cheese Chips
- Three-bean Salad
- Tofu Sour Cream & Onion Dip
- Veggie “Mac” ‘n’ Cheese
- Filipino Seitan Adobo
- Thomas Moen‘s Soybeans
- Jeanette Pelton’s Zucchini Loaf
- Jeanette Pelton’s Savory Loaf
- Mom J’s Baby Bok Choy Soup