Low-carb, zero-fat, high-protein. Vegetarian/vegan. Adapted from an earlier version of http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes/how-to-make/basic-seitan/.
- 2 c. organic, non-GMO vital wheat gluten flour
- ½ t. sage
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. marjoram
- 1 t. onion powder
- 2 c. water
- 6 c. water
- 2 T. tamari (or Bragg Liquid Aminos)
- 2 T. molasses* (optional)
- Bring to a boil the water for the broth. Add molasses* and tamari.
- Mix the gluten flour and spices together.
- Add water to mixture, a little at a time, and stir into a sponge-like dough. This should not be excessively wet.
- Knead dough a minute to make dough tougher and more elastic.
- Cut into twelve (12) 2 x 2-inch pieces and place into boiling broth.
- Cook in broth for about 1 hour, lowering heat as needed.
- Drain and use seitan as desired, in a stir-fry, stew, or for an entrée.
- To add fat, sauté cooked seitan “steaks” in coconut oil.
Nutrition Information (per serving):
- Calories 84
- Carbohydrate 4 g
- Fat 0 g
- Fiber 1 g
- Protein 16 g
*Omitting molasses will reduce carbohydrates per serving to 3 g.
- Special K® Loaf
- Taco Salad/Haystacks for Diabetics
- Basic Seitan (Gluten Steaks)
- Mom J’s Cashew Gravy
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Cashew-Pimiento Cheese Sauce
- Mom J’s Low-carb Baked Beans
- Picnic Cauliflower Salad
- Mom J’s Black Soy Bean Chili
- Keto “Cornbread”
- Chicken-style Seasoning
- Gluten-free Low-carb Unleavened Communion Bread
- Mom J’s Cheese Chips
- Three-bean Salad
- Tofu Sour Cream & Onion Dip
- Veggie “Mac” ‘n’ Cheese
- Filipino Seitan Adobo
- Thomas Moen‘s Soybeans
- Jeanette Pelton’s Zucchini Loaf
- Jeanette Pelton’s Savory Loaf
- Mom J’s Baby Bok Choy Soup