Activities for the next three (3) weeks were inspired by the “21-day Jumpstart Challenge” from Smart Diabetes Solutions, slightly modified for Adventist Vegetarian Diabetics.
Beginning with Week 2, continue to use your blood glucose meter daily and add the water.
Goal: To decrease/eliminate consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages and replace with water so that 80% of drinks consumed are approved water drinks.
- Eliminate all sugar-sweetened drinks
- Minimize artificial sweeteners
- Drink only full-fat dairy milk; OR…
- Replace dairy milk with unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- Increase water consumption
- Drink at least 8 (8-ounce) water-based drinks (water, tea, broth)
- Water, bottled or tap
- Seltzer water, unsweetened
- Clear broth
- Plain coffee or tea with no sugar (may have butter, coconut/MCT oil, or unsweetened heavy cream)
- Stevia, erythritol, sucralose. Xylitol if you don’t have pets or friends with pets (xylitol is fatal to small animals). Aspartame unless it is a trigger for migraines.
- Sugar-sweetened sodas, fruit drinks, fruit juices, coffee drinks
- Commercial coffee creamer
- Sweet tea
- Maltitol, agave nectar
- High fructose corn syrup
- Chocolate milk
- Condensed milk
- V-8 of any variety
Also: Law of Health #3, Water